Box Cutter Safety
Here are some safety tips to follow that will help ensure that box cutters are being used in a safe, efficient manner:
- When cutting material, extend the blade only to the thickness needed to cut the material. This not only prevents damage to other items, but also improves cutting leverage.
- Stay sharp! Sharp blades will cut cleanly through a material. Dull blades will tug and pull, which is more likely to cause your hand to slip and lead to an injury.
- Always cut in a direction away from your body, using even pressure throughout the cut.
- Stay focused and keep your eyes on your work while using a box cutter.
If you are interrupted while using a box cutter, put it down in a flat, safe place.
- Many box cutters carry replacement blades inside the handle so it is important to be careful when opening the handle so as not let the extra blades fall out.
- If you drop a cutting tool, stand back and let it fall. Never try to catch it!
- Always pass a box cutter handle first and with the blade retracted.
- Place your box cutter in its holder when not in use.