Fall Protection: Below the Permanents – Multiple Rope Grab Systems
When working at heights below the permanents that cannot be reached by using a ladder, aerial lift, or scaffolding, you must use fall arrest equipment. (Examples of this work include, hanging greenbeds or walking on the top of set walls).
When you need to move long distances horizontally across the set, use a multiple rope grab system. Two or more rope grab set-ups will allow you to travel across the set without risking a swing fall. This equipment includes: a full body harness the number of self-retracting lanyards (SRL’s) you intend to use, number of vertical lifelines with rope grabs you intend to use, tag lines, carabineers and a double D-ring extender for your harness.
- Inspect all fall protection equipment prior to use.
- Locate an anchorage point for each of your vertical lifelines. Single-user anchorage points are located on the soundstage trusses and have been identified with a yellow tag.
- Select anchorage points above you and as close as possible to where you are going to be working to avoid or limit a swing fall.
- Connect the vertical lifelines to the anchorage points you have chosen with the double-locking snap hook. Attach only one vertical lifeline per anchor point.
- Open the rope grab and enclose the vertical lifeline with the rope grab (arrow pointed up) then tightly screw the rope grab to the vertical lifeline. Make sure that the arrow on the rope grab is pointing up toward the anchorage point.
- Attach the self-retracting lanyard (SRL) to the rope grab with a self-locking carabineer.
- Connect the tag line to the double-locking snap hook on the SRL.
- Position the rope grab, SRL and tag line on the lifeline so that the final height of the SRL is 6 feet above your intended work height.
- Protect the lifeline against rough edges by using a rope protector or by padding sharp corners.
- From the ground or greenbed, pull the tag line and attach the double-locking snap hook from the SRL to the double D-ring extender attached to the D-ring on the back of your harness.
- As you work move toward the next SRL you previously positioned. Pull the tag line and hook the double-locking snap hook to the second D-Ring extender.
- Unhook the first double-locking snap hook from the first SRL.
- Never remove one lifeline until you are safely attached to the second lifeline, or until you are back on the ground or greenbed.