Fall Protection: Fixed Ladders
When climbing a fixed ladder over 20 feet in length without rest balconies, or a ladder that is not equipped with a ladder cage, you must use a ladder safety device. This equipment includes: a full-body harness and a sliding sleeve attached to either a fixed-rail or cable system.
- Inspect all fall protection equipment prior to use.
- Connect the sleeve to the “D” ring located on the front of your harness.
- Connect the sleeve to the fixed-rail or cable. Connect the sleeve onto the fixed-rail or cable with the arrow pointed toward the top of the ladder.
- Once attached, climb up the ladder normally. The detachable cable sleeve will follow you as you climb.
- When you reach the top of the ladder, carefully disconnect from the ladder safety device to exit the ladder.
- To descend the ladder, reattach your “D” ring to the sleeve and climb down smoothly in a normal manner. Allow the sleeve to “lead” you down. Climbing down out of position will cause the sleeve to lock onto the fixed-rail or cable.
- If the sleeve locks, move upward slightly to release the sleeve.
- You must be attached to the ladder safety system whenever you are on the ladder.
- Do not use unprotected fixed ladders over 20 feet in length. Contact your Production Safety Representative.