Fall Protection: Horizontal Cable System Over Permanents
An employee working outside the catwalks, in the unprotected area of the permanents known as the “ozone,” must use fall arrest equipment. This equipment includes: a full body harness, a shock absorbing lanyard or a self-retracting lanyard (SRL), and a carabineer.
- Inspect all fall protection equipment prior to use. Inspect the horizontal wire rope cable for any kinks or damage.
- Select a horizontal line as close as possible to where you are working to avoid or limit a swing fall. These engineered lines are designed for two users per line.
- Connect the lanyard to the fixed horizontal anchorage line with a double-locking snap hook or self-locking carabineer.
- You may connect to the horizontal anchorage line either by:
- Connecting the SRL to the horizontal line directly with a self-locking carabineer,
- Substituting a 6-foot shock-absorbing “Y” lanyard for the SRL.
- Attach the double-locking snap hook from the SRL to the “D” ring located on the back of your harness.
- When using an SRL, avoid quick or sudden movements in any direction to prevent loss of balance from line tension or locking. The SRL maintains normal line tension when line is being steadily extracted and retracted. Do not allow the SRL to go slack.
- Practice using the device on the catwalk. This will familiarize you with the tension and locking actions of the SRL and make you aware of the forces applied to your body by the line during movement.
- If you need to move farther than the lanyard will allow, return to the catwalk and find another horizontal line. Never try to increase the length of a lanyard by attaching it to another lanyard.
- Never detach from the lanyard until you are safely back on the catwalk.