Skip to content
- Make sure that all gear and belt guards are in place.
- Never leave a chuck wrench in a chuck.
- Keep your hands off chuck rims when a lathe is in operation.
- Steady rests should be properly adjusted to conform with the material being worked on.
- When filing work in a lathe, always face the head stock and chuck.
- See that tailstock, tool holder, and work are properly clamped before turning on power.
- Never attempt to adjust a tool while the lathe is running.
- Never apply a wrench to revolving work or parts.
- Always use a brush to remove chips; never your hands.
- When possible, use pipe sleeves to cover work protruding from the end of the lathe.
- Before removing your work from the lathe, remove the tool bit.