Skip to content
Trenching and Shoring
- Contact the Production Safety Representative if you are planning any trenching job deeper than 4 feet.
- A Trenching and Shoring Trained Competent Person is to be in charge of any shoring operation.
- Before digging, you are to check the site for potential hazards.
- Adequate barriers (i.e. guardrails, covers, barricades) shall be provided at all excavations, trenches, pits and holes.
- A shoring or benching system is to be employed in trenches and evacuation deeper than 5 feet.
- Before excavating, locations of existing underground utilities are to be determined by Underground Services Alert at (800) 422-4133. They require 48-hour notice, unless it is an emergency.
- Before entering a confined space, the air in the space is to be tested for dangerous gases and oxygen levels.
- No part of any shoring system of an excavation shall be removed until proper steps have been taken to avoid hazard to men from moving ground.
- Spoil piles are to be 2’ back from edge of all excavations.